Njurförbundet – Swedish Kidney Associaion
Was founded in 1969 and is a national organization for people with kidney disease, their
relatives and living kidney donors in Sweden. The association has 15 regional associations in
the country with about 4,400 members.
One of the main tasks is to promote and safeguard the interests of kidney patients with
regard to treatment, care, rehabilitation and social security. The work is based on the Idea
Program and Guidelines for good kidney care.
Focus areas decided by the General Assembly:
- Kidney Health Care
- Organ donation
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Children and young people
- Labor market, education and social security
Mr. Hakan Hedman
Tel. +46-(0) 70 718 16 70
Swedish Kidney Association (Njurförbundet)
Drakenbergsgatan 6, bv
SE-117 41 Stockholm
Tel. +46 (0) 8 546 405 00
Mrs. Sara Norman, Office Manager
Tel. +46 (0) 8 545 405 01
- A report has been compiled with data from the Swedish Kidney Register (SNR) with
various quality parameters on kidney care in Sweden. The report shows differences
between different regions. In the report, the Swedish Kidney Association has chosen
to focus on self-dialysis and home dialysis.
- The Swedish Kidney Association, together with the medical profession, has published
a national care program for self-care in dialysis, which is also available with English
- The Kidney Association plans to develop its Children and Youth activities through a
- Recruitment of members is an ongoing work and the association wants to focus on
people at an early stage of kidney disease.
- Information is a main task and the association is constantly working to inform the
public about kidney disease, early detection and connection between kidney disease
and high blood pressure.
- Since March 2020, the association has had a lot of focus on COVID-19 and informed
- Organ donation is an important part of the association’s advocacy work. An
amendment to the Transplantation Act will be decided which will remove many
obstacles to organ donation from the deceased.
The Swedish Kidney Foundation – Njurfonden
The Swedish Kidney Foundation was founded in 2013 on the initiative of the Swedish Kidney
Association. It is a foundation that raises money to support research on kidney disease and
kidney transplants. Just over 1 million euros are distributed annually to various research